- This event has passed.
IGA Heritage Week Projects & Recommendations
14 August, 2021 - 23 August, 2021
Heritage Week this year runs from Saturday 14th August until Sunday 22nd August and not only do we have a few of our own projects this year but there’s a whole host of geological projects for you to choose from, which is great to see! Many thanks to the IGA Heritage Week Working Group for all their hard work (Maria Cullen, Bill Sheppard and Laura Smith).
IGA Heritage Week 2021 Projects
- Dan O’Connell and Michele Castiaux have devised this incredible interactive way for us to share images of our local geology, inspired by some of the restrictions we’ve faced over the last year. You can see the map HERE and if you have any photos to submit you can do so by e-mailing these with a location and description to email@example.com.
- It would be great to get coverage of photos from all around the country, so I encourage you all to submit your favourite geological photo!
- We hope to keep this map alive even after Heritage Week is over!
- Margaret Franklin has done some excellent work putting together this project and it’s one we hope to follow up with an excursion next year!
- Hopefully, this project will inspire people to consider Ireland’s volcanic heritage as well as the geology of Vinegar Hill, Co. Wexford & Croughan Hill, Co. Offally in particular.
Sunday 15th August, 3pm & Child Friendly Event Wednesday 18th August, 3pm
- A few members of the IGA Council, Bill Sheppard, Maria Cullen & Laura Smith have joined forces with a New Ross native Historian, Myles Courtney to pull together the links between the provenance of building stones in St. Mary’s Church of Ireland New Ross. This is an excellent follow-up to Bill’s lecture in June. If you missed it you can watch it HERE.
- We will be leading a trip together in the beautiful grounds at St. Mary’s. You can sign up for this event HERE.
- The event on Wednesday 18th of August will be child-friendly and part of Heritage Week‘s Wild Child Day, encouraging young people to explore heritage too!
- We will be adding more times and dates if there is a lot of interest.
- We often receive pictures of rocks and queries from the public via our Facebook page, so we thought we’d give people the chance to ask these in real life! You can sign up to this event and submit your questions HERE. Even if you don’t have a question yourself, feel free to come along and join in the discussions!
Friday 20th & Sunday 22nd August (Contact Bill to Arrange a time)
- Bill Sheppard will be leading small groups along the beach at Passage East, Co. Waterford exploring the origin of the beach stones and what they can tell us about the history of the Waterford Estuary.
- You can e-mail Bill at billsheppard.liamin@
gmail.com to arrange a time if you wish to attend!
Sunday 22nd August, 11am
- Howard Fox & Maria Cullen will be leading a 3-hour nature walk at Dough Mountian, North Co. Leitrim exploring the geology, hydrology, plants, birds & other wildlife along the way.
A timetable of other Heritage Week geoscience events are available on the Geological Survey Website here.